Friday, August 15, 2008

As it turns out, the flat sucks

I'd say that we rented this place prior to really spending enough time in it. I think we were desperate and sick of looking. It had some ripe features - the soap inlet in the washing machine was full of mold, the carpet is vile, the shower door doesn't work properly and the shower itself is moldy, the street is quite busy and the house vibrates when buses go by, it's very difficult to get the bike in and out. etc. etc. Crouch End is ok but quite far out.

My ride to work is about 25 minutes and fine, figured out a good route on back streets. Steph is looking for work but not having much luck. The job continues to be interesting. Haven't gone for a ride the last two weeks as I didn't think it was a good idea to abandon SB for an entire day. We've been looking into day trips from London but holy shit, it's a small fortune to get just an hour away. I think what really blows me away is the cost of everything, absolutely everything. Nothing is cheap. It always seemed to me that in SF or NY, you could always find parts of life, like bulk food in Indian grocery stores, that was cheap. Not here. Although many of the museums here are free.

On Tuesday we went to Southall and the Brilliant, a quasi-famous Indian restaurant. Went with John from work and Noami, Matt, Belen, and Steph. Quite an outing - took a long time to get there and approximately $20/person in transport. Good food and we had leftovers.

Last weekend we went to the National Gallery, Tate Modern, and Hampstead Heath. This is the most boring post ever, I congratulate you for your forbearance. Honestly I'm just trying to write something down before I forget.

2 comments:

Andy White said...

The trains are fairly inexpensive - at least in the other direction. If you decide to make a trip up into Scotland, let me know. I'll guess you probably know more about Edinburgh (at least in terms of culinary delights) than I do, but St Andrews is a lovely town with some beautiful views that you wouldn't want to miss.

Of course you should get over to N. Ireland and see the cousins when you get the chance - their part of the woods is extraordinary, as is the western coast of the RoI where a friend and I stayed for a few days in a town called Dingle on the Ring of Kerry, highly recommended if you're interested.

Anonymous said...

Silas says "I love you" and "Do you have hair?"

I say: Lentils and chili my friend. Lentils and chili. I cannot imagine that being expensive anywhere. Of course you would go mad after a week or two and start drink gasoline (or would that be too expensive?).

Please post pics of the mold! Are there any large clumps worthy of naming?