Wednesday, July 23, 2008

How professor random fails to enjoy flat-hunting

I met another idiot agency fool, dressed all in black, gold bling everywhere, and he showed me this utter steamer right on King's Cross Road in what appeared to be a landlocked version of the Camden-canal open air drug market. Filthy hallway, dingy interior, etc. Then he asked me how I liked it and I said not much he said why. Why! WTF? Like he couldn't see it! I think the constant glimmering from his baubles had putrefied the brain. I didn't shoot anything there but here's some of what I've seen ....

This one was totally sweet. Weird, which professor random always likes. Interior was hot, except the bathtub shower was built in a way guaranteed to generate mold and I think I'd have to do my business on the toilet sideways. It's also way out of budget.


Then there was this which is really close to work and not too hideous for a new build. But I still hated it

I suppose that the truth of the matter is that even though I knew intellectually that our housing would be a lot worse than in Logan, now that I'm faced with it, the prospect is quite depressing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actual mold or mold color? A tough choice. I would go with actual mold. Sometimes it can be good, like in cheese or if you're lonely and just need someone(thing) to talk to. Mold color as in the bottom flat is merely a tantalizing reminiscence of mold gone by.

I wish you luck in your quest, Professor Random.

BTW: your encounter w/pisshead sounds like something from the Ali G show.

professor random said...

Full on mold, deeply embedded in the wood and grout around the tub. Bathroom ventilated by an exhaust fan that wouldn't clear a mouse fart.

I watched an Ali G documentary last night. Excellent.

Anonymous said...

=bro. I should set up a profile.

Anywho, best o'luck. I hope it becomes a bit more fun once things settle down. I was curious to see how miserable the price of renting was in London so I checked out google base. Pretty bad, eh. Although the burbs about the same as in DC.

Sharon Baker said...

Professor R--Love the postings, makes me feel like I am abroad instead of up to my elbows in diapers. Excellent use of the term "dodgy" btw.

Perhaps the apartment gods feel you need to see some real dumps to fully appreciate "the one" you're waiting for. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

-MB

the big brown couch said...

Miguel,

Great to see you finally living as (and up to the moniker) Professor Random! And all over the interweb to boot.

Start thinking euros my friend,a nd enjoy all of the cheeses and beer while you can. Sounds like fun.

-Greg