Oooh I am such a slacker on the blog. We went and had a full week's holiday in Devon & Cornwall - see Stephanie's blog for excellent play by play. But I am here to tell you of the signature discovery of the trip: the lardy cake. Yes, we were dabbling in the faded Victorian elegance of Ilfracombe over by Exmoor - £1.60 pints from 10-11 am and whatnot - when we came across a bakery with the usual inedibles in the window...the rock scone, the crumbly donut, various flabby creme filled dough puddles...when I saw an attractively thick-thighed cinnamon bun looking thing. Current estimates suggest that it was about 180 cm on a side and no less than two stones in weight, covered by 6-8 inches of treacle. Pitted with raisins as big as your fist and great swirls of coarse spice.
I asked what it was made of and she said "Lard!". We got one and over the next hour slowly covered our hands and lower forearms with its sticky pungency. Stephanie was hungrier; I probably only got 3000 calories out of it.
On the way out of town we stopped back in the bakery and told them how smacking it was. They said they only baked 4 per day and even that was a public health hazard.
Less important details of the trip to follow.
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Where is the photo of this thick-thighed lardy cake? Did you need the wide lens or something? ;)
Also, do you mind if I use 'thick-thighed'? I am drawing a blank as to when I might use it, but surely something will come up and want to get permission from the creator first.
SB was so overwhelmed she was unable to operate the camera.
Of course, use away! Thick-thighed is so evocative of thick thighs, no? There is no telling when there could be a compelling need.
Post a Comment