Sunday, July 20, 2008

Most civilized bike ride ever

Today I went out for a ride with the Central London Cycle Touring club www.centrallondonctc.org.uk. We met at Charing Cross station (I forgot my instructions on how to get there but got there ok). There were 14 people on the ride - special hint - if you have a party of four travelling together on UK trains, you can travel two for the price of one. We trained for maybe an hour to Etchingham and then did about 80 km on sweet British countryside roads. Think of something from a movie like Babe but then make it more idyllic with generous sprinklings of cows sheep and whatnot.

In a personally thrilling discovery - oasts. Oast is one of those crossword answers usually clued like "hop oven". They are all over Kent - where we were riding. They look like brick silos with pointy white hats. I had no idea what these things were. Asked another rider, they told me. Great to see that the most exasperating clues from NYT exist in the real world.
This also means of course that Kent produces a massive amount of hops and indeed there were trellised hops all over the place. It's good to be somewhere where beer is important. What a fine country.

We stopped for lunch at a pub - I had a pint of Harvey's and a brie ploughman's lunch. Apparently this will tend to include a blob of pickley chutney, salad, fruit of some kind, bread, and in my case brie not unlike a fine cellulosic powder lightly bound with a whispering of wood glue. Then more riding and on to tea at some castle with the national trust where the most salient point for me was a piece of tasty cake and a pot of tea. We rode on to the train station, trained back to Charing Cross, and I rode back to my flat where I now sit finishing of a disgusting bottle of Gallo red grenache. This is a stunningly terrible wine, sweet like pure sucrose. I had some of it last night at the Golden Hind - which served spectacular fish and chips for not impossible sums of money just a couple of blocks away. The owners are Greek. It seems that all chippies are run by Greeks or Italians.

It was a great day and has restored my faith in UK cycling. I'm whimsical I guess. Very welcoming people as well and a diverse group. Tomorrow I am taking the morning to look for housing. Sadly I noticed that my front tire is disintegrating and my wee bag with patch kit etc. has blown an intestine too.

2 comments:

Martin said...

So I am confused - is this brie in fact a cheese or so some of mortar perhaps used to contruct those lovely dwellings featured in your photos.

professor random said...

they SAID it was cheese but i think you may have it there ...